To detox eat more vegetables and fruit. To feel great, try a natural health tune-up with a milk and garlic drink.
Many people are fascinated by the idea of detoxing their body. Many others have made fortunes on peddling detox products. But is a spring detox mandatory? Not really.
Those in the know will tell you that the best, natural and affordable way to “detox” is to eat more vegetables and fruit. Both are rich in water, fiber and nutrients. The water and fiber will cleanse your system and the nutrients will give you a boost. That’s all there is to it. Don’t waste your money on some “miracle” detox.
As much as I don’t believe in miraculous detoxification, I do believe in a regular health tune-up. It’s a well-know fact that the root of all evil when it comes to health is low-grade inflammation which fosters a number of diseases, not the least of which is cancer. Simply eating flour-containing products (like bread, pasta, cookies or chips) or sugar-containing products (pretty much everything!) causes low-grade inflammation. If we were to continue our eating habits than (theoretically, of course!) we should be also taking antibiotics to control the inflammation. Obviously, it would be insane, not to mention that consistent use of antibiotics would make us immune to them. Catch 22? Not necessarily.
I don’t support trendy detoxes, but I’m all for quarterly health tune-ups. The tune-up I’m referring to:
- helps control low-grade inflammation
- improves digestion
- cleanses lungs
- balances hormones
- fights tumors
- fights acne
- lowers blood pressure
- regulates cholesterol
- thins blood
- relieves anxiety
- and strengthens the immune system
Here’s what you’ll need and why:
- 4 cups of milk (milk supplies Calcium, vitamin B, etc. and is re-hydrating and detoxifying)
- 1 head of garlic peeled and crushed (garlic has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties)
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric (a known inflammatory)
- a dash of black pepper (black pepper improves the absorption of turmeric)
- ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger (an anti-inflammatory, supports heart health, helps balance blood sugar levels, improves digestion)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (natural antibiotic)
Here is how to prepare it:
- put the milk in a stainless steel pot
- keep a wooden spoon handy
- add the crushed garlic, turmeric, ginger and black pepper
- simmer on low heat for about one hour stirring regularly with a wooden spoon
- when you notice that the amount of milk has reduced, take the milk off the stove and add honey.
Drink this healthful milk and garlic drink for three days (twice a day; half a cup at time; warm or cold) every 3 months. It is effective. (You won’t stink like garlic!) It isn’t costly. Surprisingly, it tastes GREAT!
Forget spring detox, try a health tune-up with the milk and garlic drink. Your body will thank you!